Thursday, June 7, 2007

Entering the Holy of Holies


So we went to the dentist today. Nothing remarkable happened to my teeth, but something odd happened as I walked into the lobby.


The dentist is in a new building, and the lobby is decorated with a slightly Asian theme. Consequently, the receptionists prefer to play music that is New Age sounding with an Asian sound, in minor keys with odd plucking notes periodically. I guess it's supposed to sound soothing to those who would prefer to be stuck in an elevator than be at a dentist's office.


So my immediately impression when I walked into the lobby was that I was walking into the Forbidden City. Now why would a dentist want his office to be seen as holy ground?


If they force me to start bowing and walking backwards in the dentist's presence, I'm finding a new dentist.